Blog #7

Zero-Tolerance, Always

This weeks topic was addiction and I feel that this is a very heavy topic that I am about to touch on that unfortunately effects millions of people every year. Simply said, addiction is the habit of repeatedly using a substance or engaging in an activity because it was (and may still be) enjoyable, useful, or both, even while it is currently causing significant harm. Numerous lines of study indicate that substance use is influenced by genes, even though pinpointing the exact genetic explanation is difficult. Based on meticulous research, scientists approximate that 40–60% of an individual’s risk is attributed to their genetic makeup. Addiction is influenced by a combination of gene differences in each individual. In a school setting you wouldn’t think to see much of students facing addiction because it’s hidden so well, but once again as educators we need to be aware and helpful even outside of the classroom doors.

One of the major addictions that I have come across as my time as a student is Vaping. According to the video, Vaping in Schools: ‘Juuling’ is Popular Among Teens Despite Health Risks, over 2 millions students use electronic cigarettes (vaping) and many of these same kids believe there are no health risks. While going through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website I saw that they have a portion on Tobacco, E-Cigarettes, and Vaping and the damage that it does to a human body. Smoking is currently the leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. Additionally, smoking damages almost every organ in the body, including the heart and blood vessels, the lungs, the bones, eyes, teeth, gums, fertility, and pregnancy. It also causes cancer almost everywhere in the body. The body is at risk from even smoke. The smoke from commercial tobacco contains around seven thousand compounds. This contains roughly 70 compounds that can cause cancer in addition to hundreds other hazardous substances. There isn’t a secondhand smoking exposure threshold that is safe. Even in nonsmokers, secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke. Kids have been especially at risk. After learning this makes it even more important for educators to make students aware of these health risks that come with the topic of Vaping.

Vaping in Schools: 3 Million Students and Counting | NEA

Flannery, Mary Ellen. “Vaping in Schools: 3 Million Students and Counting | NEA.” Www.nea.org, www.nea.org/nea-today/all-news-articles/vaping-schools-3-million-students-and-counting.

It’s easy for people who don’t struggle with addiction to say “Just say no” but in reality it is much harder for kids who are already struggling to get themselves out of this deep whole. Now does the D.A.R.E. “just say no” actually work? According to the National Public Radio, there are still groups that support drug abstinence education, and teens who get messages from the US Drug Enforcement Administration are still encouraged to stay “drug-free.” However, a number of studies that were released in the 1990s and early 2000s found that initiatives like D.A.R.E. had no appreciable effect on drug usage. A research conducted on suburban students revealed a marginal increase in drug usage following their involvement in D.A.R.E. It is hard to completely prevent students to stop using drugs, so the second best thing we should be able to do is teach safety measures for when student do decide to use. The National Public Radio continues and gives a list of safety measures, for instance, the healthiest course of action for drug users is to either quit using them completely or drastically reduce their dosage and frequency of use.

This week we had to pick a lesson about addiction and I chose Lesson 12 Zero-Tolerance: Understanding School Drug Policy. This lesson’s learning objectives included defining zero-tolerance drug policies, examining the effects of various school drug policies, clarifying the ways in which different policies may affect students’ health and academic wellbeing, and identifying substitute strategies for enhancing students’ health and wellbeing. The lesson was overall very interactive and did a good job at explaining things in simple terms so it is easy for students to grasp. It started off with a couple of “Think, Pair, Share” questions as they called it, which is just asking a questions, then reflecting on it, then sharing it out loud with others. I think these are great ways to get students thinking about the topic and getting their thoughts/feedback. Next the lesson gives examples and definitions of what policies are and how they can be used. The lesson uses a “Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down” activity and personally I feel like these types of activities don’t work well because most of these questions that are being asked are very obvious but I can understand why they used this activity because it is a quick and easy way to get students involved. There is a portion in the lesson that talks about “Olivia’s Story” and it has her whole written story on a slide. I would improve this and find a video for the learners to watch instead because it would be more enticing to pay attention to rather than the teacher reading off paragraphs. Other than that I think this lesson was very well made and again, very interactive. As a future teacher it is important for me to learn not only what a good lesson plan looks like but also how to teach a heavy topic such as Addiction. I will do everything in my power to start and keep the conversation of Zero-Tolerance, always.

https://med.stanford.edu/halpern-felsher-reach-lab/preventions-interventions/Safety-First/safety-first-lesson-12.html

References

Gaines, L.V. & Cohen, N. (2023, November 19). Just say no doesn’t work. National Public Radio (NPR). https://www.npr.org/2023/11/09/1211217460/fentanyl-drug-education-dare?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-npr&utm_content=later-39093453&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

“Safety First – Lesson 12.” Halpern-Felsher REACH Lab, med.stanford.edu/halpern-felsher-reach-lab/preventions-interventions/Safety-First/safety-first-lesson-12.html. Accessed 7 Apr. 2024.

Vaping in Schools: ‘Juuling’ is Popular Among Teens Despite Health Risks. (2018). PBS News Hour. Retrieved on October 29, 2020 from LinkLinks to an external site.

2 Thoughts.

1. Hi Malia, your blog was very informative and well organized. I love how you first explained what an addiction was before connecting it to vaping. This really puts emphasis on how serious addiction is and why it is important to be aware of. I found it very interesting when you spoke about substance use being an influence of genes. I would have never thought that our genes play a role in substance use and I was very intrigued to read more about it. Were you just as surprised as me when you learned this? Or was this something you’ve always known was true? I have a friend who I only see during school breaks. Recently when we hung out, I’ve noticed how attached she has become to vaping and it genuinely concerns me. In your future classroom, what would you suggest educators do so students can better support others and help others when it comes to quitting smoking? Overall, your blog was amazing, and I genuinely enjoyed reading it!

2. Hi Malia! Your blog is thorough and very informative. I really like how you give a short definition of what addiction is. I also like how you included possible causes for addiction, such as genetics. I like how much information you provided about the risks of vaping and the damage it could potentially cause as well as how anti-drug movements like D.A.R.E. and they’re message of “just say no” are not always as effective as many think they are. That it can be more complicated than just saying no. As for the lesson you chose, explaining the school’s policy is something I would not consider having a lesson on at first but after you explaining the topics this lesson covers, I understand how important it is for students to understand the policies that could possibly affect them. I like your idea to switch out the written paragraph for a video instead. I definitely agree that it would keep students’ attention better and might help with their understanding of the story. Overall your blog was really well done!